Appendix B - Additional conditions for luggage, articles, animals and cycles
INFORMATION REGARDING CARRIAGE OF LUGGAGE, ARTICLES AND ANIMALS
1. Passenger accommodation in these Conditions means the parts of trains with seats or sleeper berths including luggage stowage areas above, beneath and behind seats and adjacent to doorways.
2. Condition 47 allows you to take up to 3 items of luggage into the passenger accommodation of a train. One piece of luggage must be capable of being held in your lap if required, whilst the other pieces must each not exceed 30 x 70 x 90cm in size.
3. A Train Company may refuse to accept luggage or articles in passenger accommodation if any of the following apply:
- the restrictions listed in Condition 49 apply;
- the item would obstruct doorways, gangways or corridors;
4. In such cases, the article may be conveyed in separate luggage accommodation if this is available on the train service. Articles conveyed in such accommodation must for security reasons be clearly labelled with your name, address and destination station. Staff may not release the items to you until you have proved ownership.
5. A Train Company may refuse to accept articles in a luggage van if any of the restrictions listed in Condition 49 apply.
6. Luggage that exceeds the limits set out above is carried at the discretion of the Train Company. A charge may be made for this. Each train company is responsible for setting the charges that apply to luggage conveyed in these circumstances; however, it will not exceed half the adult single fare for the journey or part of the journey over which the luggage is being conveyed on that Train Company. Train Companies will provide information about their additional luggage policies via their website and enquiry offices, or on request or from the Ticket Seller before you buy your ticket.
7. You may take up to two dogs or other small domestic animals free of charge with you into the passenger accommodation of a train provided that they can be accommodated on the train service on which you are travelling. Animals, with the exception of blind or deaf persons' assistance dogs, may not be taken into buffet or restaurant cars. Animals are not generally allowed in sleeper accommodation; however dogs may be conveyed in sleeper cabins with the permission of the Train Company. You should apply for such permission at least 48 hours before you travel.
8. Animals other than a dog must be conveyed in a fully enclosed basket or pet carrier designed for this purpose with dimensions not exceeding 85 x 60 x 60 cm. Baskets and pet carriers must be large enough to allow the animal to stand and lie down in comfort. Animals which are too large for a basket or pet carrier with dimensions 85 x 60 x 60 cm may not be conveyed by train.
9. More than two domestic animals per passenger may be conveyed at the discretion of the Train Company, and may be charged for. Each train company is responsible for setting the charges that apply to animals conveyed in these circumstances; however, it will not exceed half the adult single fare for the journey or part of the journey over which the animal(s) are being conveyed by that Train Company. Train Companies will provide information about their policies covering the carriage of additional animals via their website and enquiry offices, or on request or from the Ticket Seller before you buy your ticket.
10. The Train Company may require that such animals are conveyed in a train's luggage van, if one is available. In such cases, a dog should be muzzled and its lead securely fastened as directed by Train Company staff. Baskets and pet carriers must be secure. Dogs and any baskets or pet carriers must be clearly labelled with your name, address and destination station. Staff may not hand over animals until you have proved ownership.
11. Dogs must be kept on a lead throughout your journey, including any part of station property; other animals must not be taken out of their baskets or pet carriers. If your dog or other animal causes a nuisance or inconvenience to other passengers you may be asked to remove it from a train or railway premises by the Train Company or Rail Service Company staff.
12. In no case will livestock or non-domestic animals be conveyed.
FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT CARRYING SPECIFIC ARTICLES
Items permitted for which no additional fee is charged:
|Pushchair/Carrycots.||Must be capable of folding|
|Wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs||Wheelchairs must be folded unless in use and located in a section designated for wheelchairs where provided.|
They are conveyed subject to a maximum width of 67 cms and length of 120 cms
Items permitted at the discretion of individual Train Companies, for which a fee may be payable:
|Canoes; surfboards; Sailboards.|
|Skis and ski-boards; golf equipment; other sports equipment except where shown as not permitted below.|
|Musical Instruments exceeding these dimensions, 30 x 70 x 90 cm which are also set out in Condition 47 and Appendix B.|
Items that are not permitted:
|Motorcycles; mopeds; motor scooters|
|Furniture exceeding these dimensions, 30 x 70 x 90 cm which are also|
set out in Condition 47 and Appendix B.
|Loaded guns and firearms|
|Dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives|
© Copyright Rail Settlement Plan Limited. Issue May 2012